Friday, December 13, 2013

Event Blog #1: Joyce Cutler Shaw

Me at the gallery.
I wasn't expecting much out of this exhibit, but as I entered the gallery I immediately knew I was wrong. Joyce Cutler Shaw's gallery had two unique and unbelievable photography projects. The first detailed her life while the other human anatomy. I especially loved Joyce herself, who was an incredibly kind woman who was open to any questions I asked.

Joyce's Life Story
The first side of the gallery featured distinct photographs positioned in front of Joyce's face. Each photograph represented an important memory from her from life growing up. She had note cards for each photograph which detailed the scene very specifically. She talked about her life in New York, her financial struggles with her mother, and specifically how each scene was an important memory in her life. The positioning of the photograph in front of her face made me feel like I was looking through a window into her soul.

Human Anatomy
The second gallery was a bit more confusing than the first. I had to personally talk to Joyce to understand what she was trying to convey. This gallery, like the other, featured a photo placed in front of Joyce's face, but rather than moments from her life, these images had scientific images of fetus's, skeletons, and other human body structures. Joyce explained to me that this gallery detailed her work and knowledge of human anatomy and the life of human beings. It was simple in theory yet very complex in it's presentation.

Gallery Title
Before this event I've honestly never seen art/photography presented in this way before. I especially loved how she used the medium of photography to show the progression of human anatomy. It was very unique and something that I didn't quite understand, but by talking to Joyce I was able to fully grasp the extent of her work. I had a great conversation with her about her past and future projects and will definitely keep a look out for any future galleries.

No comments:

Post a Comment